Hive Update 7/6

It’s been a long time once again since the last update. Last I shared, we were up to 9 hives total with a few not having queens. The swarm was thriving, but no queen was found. Some work up in the supers, but nothing crazy.

Home Nucs:

Nuc right continues their attempt to swarm. After talking with Tom from Nature’s Nectar, I plan on putting that hive in a regular deep hive in the next week to perhaps give it the room it needs. I did add a box of frames above it to give it more room.

Middle Nuc was queenless, but is no more! Welcome Queen Gladis!

What you can see here is the queen’s entourage taking care of her after I marked her. They eventually try to remove the mark, but I was able to get it dried before I let her back in.

With the next two pictures I wanted to highlight the differences between the end of queen cups. The first picture shows a former queen cup that had a queen that hatched and chewed her way out. You can tell by the perfect circle edge it made and the fact it’s still up.

The second picture is what happens when one queen emerges first. It was taken down by the other bees before it was hatched. Survival of the fittest, and Gladis was the fittest (or at least first)!

Nuc left seems to be going well. No swarm cells, enough eggs and brood. I added frames and a second box. It all looks like this now…

Now that all three of these have queens, I’ll be putting them in their own deeps to begin the preparations for winter!

Home Hives:

This now includes three hives, as the third is the swarm. The original left and right hives are still thriving, yet very limited work still on the supers.

I’ve been told we are just now starting the nectar flow, so hopefully some real progress this week!

As for the swarm, I’d looked into it multiple times, each time seeing eggs but no queen. I added a second deep box to help with their aggressive expansion and they continued to build! And I finally found her!

Look how fat she is!!! I have really high hopes for her as long as I can keep her in her box.

Oak Grove:

Hive right is still doing well, but, although there is an abundance of wild flowers around, they still haven’t begun drawing comb in the super.

Hive left was my formerly overwintered and aggressive hive. They are queenless no more!

I don’t think there were any eggs in the hive yet, but she’s there and marked. The third picture you can see the helper bees trying to take off the dot.

This means I now have a queen in each and every hive! If any of you are thinking of beekeeping someday, I do highly recommend getting two hives to begin with, in case something were to happen with one queen. Last year I was hopelessly queenless until I was given help. This year I have been self-reliant and now have many thriving hives.

Shoreview Hive: Last update from the beekeepers on site was everything is good! I hope to check it out for myself in the next couple of days.

Next steps: After spending the last two days buying frames and wood, building and painting, I now have drying…

7 deeps

2 supers

4 Vivaldi boards

3 hive covers

4 bottom boards

This will allow me to move all of my nucs to their own deep hives and give the swarm hive the bottom board and Vivaldi board to regulate temperature.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s