Syrup Season Recap

April 7, 2019 – Well that was quick in the span of three weeks the syrup season has come and gone for Bees and Trees. A long cold spell in in January, February and early March pushed the season back a bit compared to last year. Once that let up, the warmth came and was inconsistent.

It started with putting out 13 taps on a very snowy March 11th, and ended April 5th. In all there were only three days of boiling, March 23, 30, and April 5th.

Blowing a path for syrup season.

Conlin helping me put out the taps.

First sap of the season.

In total I boiled about 60 gallons each of the first two weekends and about 40 the last.

First full jugs. Those have 5 gallons each.

The first boiling was with family and ended with a little more than 2.5 gallons.

Getting the evaporator ready for the first time.

Evaporator working to perfection!

Finishing the sap on the stove.

First week’s haul.

First jar with label.

The second boil was with friends and included my first brisket on the Traeger. The final total that week was also a little more than 2.5 gallons.

A bit of fire coming out of the chimney.

Dan loved the smell of boiling sap.

Dan and the Grills stayed for brinner.

Second week’s haul.

After thinking that was it, I left the taps out one more week to see what I’d get. Once the temps get that warm (a few nights in the upper 30s, low 40s) the sap stops flowing and turns bitter. I thought I could taste the difference between sap that was still good and that which would create bitter syrup, so I tried to separate them as much as possible. Unfortunately I had to add some of the bitter sap at the very end of the good syrup boil due to it being too hot. Fortunately, it still tastes pretty good.

Final week was about 40 gallons of sap and 5 quarts of syrup.

End of the sap.

A board caught fire simply from the heat of the chimney.
Niter, aka sugar sand that is filtered out before putting it into jars.

Final year end total was about 6.5 gallons of syrup.In all, I got more syrup in 3 weeks than I did in the 6 weeks I boiled last year. The new evaporator used a lot less wood and boiled the sap in about 3/4 the time.

Next step, making my flavored syrups. Today I used vanilla bean paste to try out some different ratios to see what’s best. In a few weeks, I should have my first Vanilla Bean Maple Syrup ready!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s